Thursday, September 25, 2008

I have answers

Saw Liz the Ob yesterday and explained what I'd been experiencing over the last month, in particular what has occurred in the past week or so.

Liz looked at baby on the ultrasound and commented on it's little arms and legs that she could see very easily (I couldn't :P ) and she saw a blood clot sitting underneath the placenta :-( it's correct name is a Retro Placental Haematoma. Apparently this is the cause of my big bleeds. But she decided to check my cervix (oh joy - the speculum again!) and discovered a small polyp growing there. Now, it could only have grown in the last 4 months because Liz is the same person who did my Lap/HSG back in May and I'm pretty sure she would have checked my cervix while she was down there.

The other thing she said yesterday is that my cervix appears "raw", probably from all the trauma and bleeding going on recently.

So, I'm booked in for a Colposcopy next Thursday to have the polyp removed, I'm pretty nervous about that because I don't know what method they will use - surgically or with laser? There is a risk of miscarriage with laser, unless the actual procedure is much safer these days? I have no idea. Whatever the case, I'm pretty sure they do everything with the safety of the baby as top priority :-)

As for the big bleeds and clotting.... well, I don't think there's anything we can do except wait and hope like crazy that I can get to 14 weeks and it all settles down. Liz says that the placenta is a "pretty dodgy one" in the first trimester and it isn't really until the second trimester that it becomes fully formed.

I'm still having smudging and light bleeding, but it has now been 4 days since the last major bleed and I'm trying to take things easy. In fact, I've been advised not to work on the farm anymore, not until 14 weeks anyway. Not that I've been doing anything strenuous, but Liz has placed me in the "high risk" category and doesn't want me to overdo it.

No comments: